The Parish Church of St Giles is part of the United Benefice of Bradley, Church Eaton,
Derrington and Haughton
The Reverend Sue Symons The Rectory Rectory Lane Haughton Stafford ST18 9HU
01785 780608 email@example.com
Church services vary from week to week.
There is normally a weekly communion service and a monthly evening service.
St Giles Church, Christmas 2015
3rd Sunday of the month
A coffee morning is held in aid of church funds on the first Tuesday of each month
from 10.30am-12.00am at the Village Hall
Tea or coffee and cake - £1.50
Everyone very welcome
History of the Church
Much of the church was rebuilt in 1887 by JL Pearson, the architect of Truro Cathedral.
The Church has a 13th century north wall and a doorway and windows that are more
than 450 years old. Pearson replaced the Georgian walls which were then considered
out of fashion. The tower was built by Nicholas Graviner, (sometimes called Gravinor
or Gravinar), Rector at the church from 1489 and who died in 1520. His memorial
can be found in the north-east corner, engraved in alabaster. It shows his full-length
portrait in vestments with two angels supporting cushions beneath his head. The
church has a reredos made in 1896 and an altar made from a Cedar of Lebanon which
grew in the Rectory garden until it blew down in a gale.
These graves and memorials of the Royds are at the east end of the church.
This memorial is to members of the Vernon Yonge family, including Vernon Yonge, rector
The North door
The early 19th century clock was reconstructed in 1883.
The church has a very well-maintained churchyard, with ancient gravestones set in
neat lawns and with many mature trees. There is also a dedicated area for wildlife,
a special garden which provides habitats for birds, insects and small mammals.